Saturday, June 6, 2009

Starting my blog

Ok, I have too much time on my hands, so it's time to start a blog. Was at the American Society of Trial Consultants conference this week. I presented on focus groups and how they can be used to frame your case. Anyways, listened in on a few of the other speakers and came across David Matsumoto. David is an expert on microexpressions. That is the science of reading emotions from very quick facial expressions, often 1/30th of a second. It was fascinating!
There are seven basic human emotions: fear, sadness, contempt, disgust, happiness, surprise and anger. After 3 hours of training, I was able to ascertain these emotions with amazing accuracy!
Well, my first attempt netted about 30% but after the training, it approached 80%.
Anyways, check David out, it is pretty cool.

2 comments:

Glenn said...

Paul:

I visited Matsumoto's web site, but didn't see a video available. For those of us in the hinterlands, do you know a video source to help learn these things? I assume that this comes in most helpful in voir dire, and maybe cross examination?

James said...

Below is a link to Paul Ekman web page. He has CD for developing recognition of emotions. He has also written several books on the subject.
http://www.paulekman.com/